The History of Holy Cross at Cathedral
Cathedral High School was founded in 1918 as an all-boys Catholic high school by Bishop Joseph Chartrand. Though it was owned at the time by the Indianapolis Archdiocese, the Brothers of Holy Cross served as faculty. Under the Brothers, Cathedral's reputation as an outstanding academic institute grew and remains true to that mission today. In the mid-1960s, the management of Cathedral was given to the Congregation of Holy Cross which ran the school as a private, independent school; not financially supported by the Archdiocese. Today, Cathedral remains financially independent and is operated by the 36-member Cathedral Board of Trustees. The formal affiliation with the Brothers of Holy Cross in September 2011 reaffirms the school's commitment to maintaining the Holy Cross values that are both its history and its future.