Service Forms & Information
If you have more questions please contact someone from our Campus Ministry:
Service Requirements & Expectations
Completion of the Christian Service Program is a graduation requirement. One full credit of Christian Service is required for graduation. The Cathedral Christian service requirement will be based on the Gospel imperative of Matthew 25 that requires service to the poor and vulnerable if we wish to enter the Kingdom of Heaven. Each student must complete service hours as specified below for each academic year.
Freshmen: 10 hours; Sophomore: 15 hours; Junior: 20 hours; Senior: 25 hours
Completion of the Christian Service Requirement includes the following:
- The service project must directly benefit people in the community and reflect Christian values as described in Matthew 25:35-41. Specifically, the hours must:
- occur within a non-profit setting serving the poor and vulnerable
- minister directly to the poor and vulnerable as defined in the gospel of Matthew
- be supervised by an adult in the service agency
- Each Academic Year students are to select one Agency. Contact the agencies Volunteer Coordinator to work out a service opportunity. There needs to be a dialog between parents and the students to put a plan with the prospective agency in place. The students need to contact the agency to see if their age qualifies them as a volunteer and that they will be able to volunteer during the agencies hours of operation.
- Some questions you need to inquire about are:
- Are there age restrictions?
- Does a parent need to stay while I volunteer?
- Is there training or vaccines that I need to complete to volunteer?
- What are your volunteer days and hours?
- How far from home is it and what will my transportation be?
- All of these questions need to be addressed to decide if that agency is a good fit for not only your student, but you as a parent especially if you are your students transportation!
- The student will then submit the application once this process is complete. The parent's signature is agreeing that this agency is a good fit for your student and you understand the Time Sheet Deadlines and consequences for Late Service hours beginning in the 2017-2018 academic year.
Applications / Time Sheets / Reflection
The applications are Due No Later than Monday September 18, 2017. If the application is not received by September 18, 2017 points will be deducted from the final service grade. ALL students are required to submit a Service Application even if you are returning to the same agency so we know you have a plan in place. If your agency is not on the pre approved list Campus Ministry must approve the Service Application, prior to beginning service. Students working on service over the summer must submit the application for approval prior to service.
Deadlines for completed time sheets and service evaluations are:
- Freshman and Sophomore time sheets are due Monday, January 29th
- Junior and Senior time sheets are due Monday, April 23rd
Theology teachers will provide a rubric for the oral reflection. These can also be found on the Christian Service webpage. Grading Scale can also be found there. Each student will give a brief talk to their Theology class.The student is responsible for scheduling their time with their teacher.
**Service hours that are not completed by the deadline will result in immediate suspension of ALL Extra curricular activities including sports.**
Late Time sheets / Presentations will lower Christian Service Grade to an automatic “C”. Failure to complete will result in a failing grade. In order to remove the ‘F’ from the report card students must complete the service for the grade to be changed from an ‘F’ to a ‘D’, for failure to complete in the given time.
Important Notes - Christian Service Program
- Service hours must be done outside class time & documented by the on-site supervisor on the a Time Sheet.
- IB students’ Christian Service Hours may count as part of their IB “Creative Action Service” requirement.
- Regarding Mission Trips: Qualifying trips during the summer or during the school year before the deadline may be counted for the current school year. Spring trips may be approved on an individual basis for the following year.
- Students, remember you are representing Cathedral High School as well as yourself. Any problems or incidents during your service need be reported the site supervisor & to Cathedral’s Campus Ministry department.
- Seniors must complete all 4 years requirements by the deadline in order to receive their graduation diploma.
- Though the school recognizes the importance of many activities that provide opportunities for volunteer work and for education in the faith, the following are ordinarily NOT approved:
- private arrangements with private individuals
- recreation programs & summer camps not specifically designed for handicapped or special needs groups.
31“When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, he will sit upon his glorious throne, 32 and all the nations will be assembled before him. And he will separate them one from another, as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats.… 34 Then the king will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father. Inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world.
35 For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, a stranger and you welcomed me,36 naked and you clothed me, ill and you cared for me, in prison and you visited me.’37 Then the righteous will answer him and say, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you drink?... 40 And the king will say to them in reply, ‘Amen, I say to you, whatever you did for one of these least brothers of mine, you did for me.’
If you have any questions or concerns please contact Shannon Fox, Administrator for Christian Service, at email@example.com. Please DO NOT wait until the last minute if you have any questions or are having problem. If you are having issues it is much easier to take care of early then at the last minute. Thank you for your support!