Day of Service
Cathedral celebrates school's 99th Birthday with Day of Service !
All of our students, faculty and staff will be volunteering at 58 locations on September 14, 2017. We will beginning our day at 8 am that Thursday morning, students and teachers from Cathedral High School will fanned out across Indianapolis and surrounding counties to help a wide variety of central Indiana not-for-profits. The entire school, 1,184 students plus 120+ faculty and staff, will pitch in on everything from making blankets for the Linus Project to helping at Urban Farms throughout the city and everything in between! “The Day of Service is a meaningful way for students and staff to celebrate Cathedral High School's 99th birthday and give back to the community.
This is the fifth year that Cathedral High School has participated in a school-wide birthday celebration through service to the community. The school, founded in 1918, has a long tradition of philanthropy. “Our annual Day of Service helps our students learn about the importance of giving back,” Principal Dave Worland says. “This has been an integral part of Cathedral’s identity and part of our Holy Cross tradition. This is one of the unique ways we achieve our mission of transforming a diverse group of students’ and helping them understand how they can contribute to a better community here in Indianapolis.”
Need to Know
- On Friday August 25th, Town Leaders distributed the necessary permission form(s) needed for the agency their town will be volunteering at on the Service Day. These forms are to be signed by parents and returned to school on Thursday, but NO Later than Friday Sept. 8th.
- All permission forms are now being collected at the start of Theology classes or can be turned into the front office. ALL students leaving campus MUST return the CHS Permission Form. The form is also available to print below. Any student without a signed permission form will need to remain on campus to work with our grounds crew. They will be required to bring their lunch as the cafeteria will be closed.
- EXTRA Waiver Forms Depending on your students site of service that day they may be required to complete an addition form required by that agency. Agencies and town assignments are below. Click on the link on the name of agency to print their waiver.
- Town Leaders were sent an email on Tuesday Aug. 29th with their agency assignments and instructions for contact with agency. All town assignments are listed below.
- DRESS CODE: All students are to come to school in long jeans (no holes), their County tee shirt, and closed toed lace up shoes (tennis shoes). Some students could be working on painting or landscaping clean up project so wear older jeans and tennis shoes. Tennis shoes are a MUST at all Food Banks & Pantries!!
- LUNCHES Students Faculty and Staff will need to bring a sack lunch and drink with them.
- Parents your student if they are needing any specific needs required for the day. Some agencies are asking volunteers to bring garden gloves, scissors, paint brushes, hammers. Your students town leaders will let them know what is necessary.
- SCHOOL WILL BEGIN at 7:50 am that Day, as several towns will be loading buses at 8am sharp!
County - Town / Agency Information
*Agencies needing additional Release/Waiver are notes below. Clicking on the agency name will take you to the form needed. Please sign and return to school.
The Cathedral student body plus faculty and staff will volunteer at 58 different locations around central Indiana on September 14th, including:
Agape Therapeutic Riding @ Bradford Woods - Raphoe/Donegal * Extra Form
American Cancer Society - Gweedore / Donegal
American Village Senior Living - Kimallock / Limerick
Anna's House / Lord's Pantry - Blackwater / Wexford
Big City Farms - Kirwin / Galway
Brandywine Creek Farms - Booterstown / Dublin & Shillelagh / Wicklow Payne's group (10)
Brookdale Living @ Castleton - Arlow / Wicklow
Caring Place - Oola / Limerick Lyon's group (10)
Cathedral Soup Kitchen - Skerrett / Galway
Christamore House - Hollyfort / Wexford
CHS Trail Blazers - Killurin / Wexford & Ballymore / Wexford
CHS Science Wizards - Dublin / Dublin
Clearwater Lakes Asst Living - Dundrum / Tipperary
Conner Prairie - Ballyhaise / Cavan * Extra Form
CSS Christmas Store - Inch / Wexford Hollis's group (10)
Dayspring Center - Donegal / Donegal
Down Syndrome Indiana - Monkstown / Dublin
Enlace Academy - Rahkeale / Limerick; Knockgrafton / Tipperary; Horse&Jockey / Tipperary
Family Promise Center - Gorey /Wexford
Fatima Retreat House - Coolafancy / Wicklow
Gleaners Food Bank - Belturbet / Cavan; Punchestown / Kildare; Moone / KIldare Limerick / Limerick; Ballylanders / Limerick *Extra Form
Growing Places Indy - Waterford / Kerry
Habitat ReStore Indy - Lyons Hill / Kildare *Extra Form
Hancock County Food Bank - Shillelagh w/ McGuinan's group (10)
Holliday Park - Brosna / Kerry *Waiver signed on site
Hollis Adams/Hope Convent Church - Skerries / Dublin
Holy Cross School - Cahir / Tipperary
Holy Family Shelter - Oola / Limerick Van Duran's group (10)
Indiana Sports Corp - Conroy / Wicklow
Indiana State Museum - Freshman & Sophomores w/ Darnell & O'Brien Kilcoole & Coolboy / Wicklow *Extra Form
Indy Urban Acres - Castlemaine / Kerry
Joy's House - Non CHS Trail volunteers from Killurin & Ballymore / Wexford
Kesslerwood Place - Dingle / Kerry
Linus Blanket Project - Bailieborough / Cavan
Marquette Manor - D'Arcy / Galway
Mid North Food Pantry - Inch / Wexford Alexander's group (10)
Midwest Food Bank - Juniors & Seniors w/ Gross & Spurgin from Kilcoole & Coolboy / Wicklow *Extra Form
Miracle Place - Foxrock / Dublin
Neighborhood Link - Butlerbridge / Cavan *Extra Form
Phalen Academy Field Day - Blacklion / Cavan; Bodkin / Galway; Naas / Kildare; Cashel/Tipperary
Phalen Academy Rehab Crew - Curragh / Kildare
Piarist Christmas Project - Font / Galway
St. Augustine's Little Sister's of the Poor - Kilderry / Kerry
St Lawrence Fall Festival Prep - Knockaderry / Limerick
St. Luke Catholic Church Fall Festival Prep - Buncrana / Donegal
St. Joan of Arc Garden's - Cashel / Tipperary Bertrand & Wheeler's group (10)
St. Joan of Arc Movers & Shakers - Dolla / Tipperary
St. Philip Neri School - Camp / Kerry
St. Vincent House - Stepaside / Dublin
St. Vincent de Paul Distribution Center - Kellybags / Donegal
St. Vincent de Paul Food Pantry - Greencastle / Donegal
South Circle Farms - Nurney / Kildare
Westminster Village North - Dundrum / Tipperary
Wheeler Woman's Ministry - Lynch / Galway